- FD Facilities Research Paper. Field: Chemical Engineering homework help
FD facilities Research Paper
Write a 4-5 page APA paper (75 pts) on the topic of firehouse design considerations.
1. discuss the planning, design, construction phases
2. diiscuss key design features for the varying needs of career, combination, and volunteer departments
3. discuss special requirements for offices, public meeting space, maintenance operations, training activities, etc.
4. discuss flexibility of design, future expansion, construction types, etc
5. Consider public input on location and design issues.
6. Dig in to this topic, learn something new!
7. Also, include a summary of your department’s facility resources; firehouses, admin, support, training facility, etc. What are your department’s facility resource needs and how will they be funded?
From horse drawn to motorized and eventually to the modern era.
Basically the same type of apparatus as a city service ladder truck, except with a pump, hose, and chemical or booster tank added.
Stronger than wood which made elevated heavy streams safer. It also caused the demise of the water tower.
Apparatus design was somewhat obsolete due to the economic toll of the depression and WWII.
Fire apparatus replacement fell way behind during this period.
The late 1940’s and 1950’s saw a boom in fire apparatus production.
Made aerial ladders affordable for small cities and towns.
Introduced in 1957-Built until the early 1990’s.
FDNY made these famous!
Introduced in the late 1960’s. Remains the most common aerial configuration today.
Commercially produced cabs place on custom apparatus chassis was common practice from the 1940’s -1970’s.
Commercially produced cab and chassis (similar to full custom cab and chassis) have been supplied to apparatus manufacturers since the 1950’s.
Typical 1960’s-1970’s design.
Cab by TCM, chassis by GM, and apparatus by ALF
High horsepower diesel engines
AC & ergonomic comfort for firefighters
Safety features include anti-lock brakes, independent front suspension, air bags, enhanced reflective stripes, and improved emergency lighting
Telescoping or articulating design.
Updated pump design.
Two and Four Door versions are available.
Most have pumps.
TDA are still commonly preferred by many cities for inner city service.
Snorkels are not as common as they were in the 1950-1970 era.
Very common for suburban departments.
Similar in design to Custom Heavy Rescues
Pros & Cons?
Home built or converted apparatus
Heavier duty than a pick up.
Pumper-tanker vs. tanker pumper?
Type I – larger truck cab and chassis
Type II – standard full size van
Type III – usually a one-ton pick up style cab and chassis
Type IV – special purpose units such as ATV’s or gold cart units
Apparatus design is evolving.
Cost continues to go up.
Always consider needs versus wants.
Credit given to websites and photographers as appropriate.