Ethical Case Studies
(Select 0ne of the following cases on which to base your discussion)
You are working in a fertility clinic and a patient, who herself was adopted, has decided to pursue genetic testing through a commercial genetic counseling site. She shares she believes strongly those with genetic predisposition to certain physical weaknesses should not reproduce.
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
Weeks later she comes in and shares she has the gene for a genetic anomaly; she also wants a pregnancy test. It turns out positive and she is very matter of fact about making an appointment for an abortion without consulting her husband. A new, strongly prolife nurse on your staff, the daughter of the CEO, speaks with the patient’s husband. She does not reveal the pregnancy outright but encourages him to come to the next appointment with his wife to surprise her. The patient arrives at her follow-up appointment 72 hours later and her husband appears in the waiting room; the patient does not expect to see her husband in the waiting room. The patient is irate at the breach of confidentiality; the husband is elated and downplays his wife’s rage saying she will calm down in a few days.
What do you do next to address this ethical dilemma?
· Briefly describe the ethical problem in this scenario.
· Discuss ethical principles breached in this scenario.
· What ethical principles can be beneficial as you attempt to resolve this issue?
· What do you think your response should be in this situation? Why?
· What values are involved within this dilemma?
· Discuss how your personal values influenced how you resolved this dilemma.
· Discuss the ANA Code of Ethics Provisions that support your resolution to this dilemma.
· How do these provisions relate to this situation?
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!